Standing out at the corner between via Imbriani and via Mazzini, is the imposing building erected in 1875 to a design by Giovanni Berlam and commissioned by brothers Carlo Marco and Giacomo Morpurgo. The façades, decorated with plain inserts and corbels, extend on four levels and are interspersed by four balconies.
The second floor houses the (approximately 600m2) apartment which Mario Morpurgo de Nilma donated to the Comune di Trieste so that it could become a museum. Its opulent furnishings mirror the typical eclectic taste of the second half of the 19th century. The premises have maintained an integrity that conveys a striking atmosphere and brings to life the vivid memory of the family who lived in it for two generations. Each sitting room is characterised by a different colour scheme and style, and each room is perfectly preserved: the carved wooden floors, the ceilings, the plaster cornices, the French lace curtains, and the furniture. The latter, by virtue of how it is arranged and in the abundance of armchairs and sofas, reveals the busy social function which these rooms served: musical and cultural soirées used to be organised, as well as poetry readings and presentations of the most recent objets d’art.
Comune di Trieste
Video by TCD
With the contribution of Friuli Venezia Giulia